Sunday, May 08, 2005

In the news

I won't quit, vows Blair as Cabinet rift opens in the Observer today has Jon Owen Jones as one of a number of defeated MPs blaming Blair for the hits they took:
Jon Owen Jones, who lost his Cardiff Central seat to the Liberal Democrats, said it was because of issues such as Iraq and tuition fees. Asked if there was anything that could have saved him, he said: 'If he had decided to stand down that would have been different. I would have had a good chance whereas, effectively I had no chance.'
And on a happier note Jenny Willott has a South Wales Echo article devoted to her, 'It still hasn't sunk in' - new MP Jenny, where she talks about current pride and future mania:
“I’m just looking forward to getting my teeth into the job. But it is going to mean a phenomenal change to my life – I’m supposed to be in London on Monday,” she said.

3 Comments:

At 12:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do have some sympathy for JOJ. It did not seem to be a widely broadcast fact that he voted against both the Iraq war and tuition fees. I would imagine those who voted Libe Dem did so as much as a vote against those two policies as for anything else. For what it's worth, I would have been prepared to vote Labour had JOJ not spoken out so stridently in favour of ID Cards (I'm an airy-fairy civil libertarian at heart). Incidentally, I am told that Labour had pretty much given up this seat as lost some time ago - certainly their lacklustre campaign suggested as much.

 
At 10:21 am, Blogger Frances said...

I don't think I could have brought myself to vote Labour but you are right in that it was certainly more than Iraq and tuition fees that did it. There had obviously been problems in the Labour campaign here. I don't think that anyone - whatever they hoped for - can have been particularly surprised by the result.

 
At 10:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of students I spoke to were not aware of JOJ's voting record against fees & the war, and to be fair, if I wasn't already aware of it, it would have taken quite a bit of internet searching to find out.

I saw the two Jennys on Saturday, at Roath church fair, I was happily browsing bedding plants when I spotted them. All the church ladies were congratulating JW. They asked if she had celebrated yet and she said she would that night, and was very nervous. It does show how 'hands on' she is, I'll give her that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Contribute

Send us your thoughts, news and ideas! cardiffcentral(at)
hotmail.co.uk

Bits and bobs

Welsh Blogs.

Powered by Blogger